Friday, 28 September 2012

Analysis Of Audience Research


Nearly half of all people clicked Indie music as one of the 2 genre's they listen to most. This is good as the song I'm using is classic Indie. Next was Pop, this is understandable as the meaning of pop is that it's popular, my song isn't a pretentious indie song, I feel that it falls near the border of pop too which is great as they were the two most picked.





17/18 people said they watch music videos online, everyone of them said they use YouTube for this. The reasons that they gave were mainly similar; that it's easy, quick and has a very wide range. YouTube is where I'll be posting my video, YouTube is great for sharing too, it has integration on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Blogger... Literally compatible with every social networking site. One issue that this brings up is that the first few seconds of my video have to be exciting and grab the audience's attention as on YouTube if you don't like something straight away you can and will click straight off it.




Most people said that they would watch videos by searching for them themselves, I found this quite surprising as I predicted many would say they discovered music videos by following links posted by friends. The reasons for this i think are answered further in Q10.





The majority of people said they regularly shop in Topshop/Topman. This is exactly as I predicted and if you look at my pinterest post you'll see that the fashion pins are pretty much all from Topman or Topman inspired which will give the audience a base to relate to the artists on screen who's costume will follow the same trends as that on my Pinterest. River Island/H&M/Vintage shops all got an equal amount of clicks, all these shops are very similar and I expected them to all come top.





Not everyone said yes to this question, as was expected. The people that did say they had a style icon chose people like Alexa Chung, Bip Ling, Noel Fielding... All very stylish and original, most of the people around Hoxton and East London have taken some sort of inspiration from these people. That again fits with the fashion question above.





Most people chose "other" as their make of phone. I think this maybe because when I wrote the list I didn't include BlackBerry, which is one of the most common phones within the teenage group. Six people chose Apple which was expected as more and more people are buying iPhones.


The majority of people said they use Facebook... Which was obvious as I asked all of them on Facebook to do the survey! Next up was Twitter then Tumblr, the audience I'm going for aren't the typical Tumblr Hipsters, but a few bloggers is never a bad thing when getting a music video discovered. Facebook is an amazing medium for online distribution, videos can go viral over night and gain thousands of views from just being posted on Facebook. Twitter though not as prolific can still have near the same effect.




Glastonbury and Reading got equal amounts of clicks with V Fest coming in 1 click behind them. The main two are the typical festivals of the Indie crowd as the performers match their crowd and interests the best. V Fest I thought would be top, mainly becuase most of the people I shared it with live within half an hour of where it's located. This is a good result as if I were to imagine the band I'm using at a festival it would most probably be Reading.




Everyone that answered said they had seen someone live, a few gave specific answers where they'd gone to see certain people at their own shows but the ones that have listed a lot of acts would have seen these at a festival or at clubs (for the DJ sets).





Some people simply said they watch music videos to listen to the song! But quite a few people said that they watch music videos as they are interesting, one person said they can be as iconic as the song itself, another said they're like short movies. I got a lot of positive feedback following the idea that music videos are important and the song is bettered by watching them.

No comments:

Post a Comment